8.18.2014

well, i'll be

I woke up when the house shook from the pounding.

Welding on another length of pipe.
"Take a good look at this here," said Randy (left). "Something you won't see much in the Ozarks. men working!"
  "Don't you go telling my wife!" joked Skip, the welder.
  They call it a "drove pipe well" around here. I don't know what it would really be called other than a piece of pipe in the ground. Harley's machine pounded down one 8' length, then another until, 19' down, they hit the river level. The water came up about 6' in the pipe. This ayem Randy and I go to town to buy a new pump, a new pressure tank and fittings. Then he will install and I may be able to take an actual shower instead of a dribble. Still won't drink the water, though the next-door neighbors all do from the same type of well.
  "You know what the only cash crop in the Ozarks is?" Randy asked me.
  "No," I said.
  "Newcomers."

3 comments:

Dianne said...

WHAT A GREAT IMPROVEMENT TO THE GOOSE!!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

Claudia said...

Don't be happy yet! We have not pumped out the pipe to see how fast it refreshes, and the pump and pressure tanks are still New In Box. Dude is saying maybe Saturday.

Kate Knapp Artist Blog said...

excellent!